WILL POWER TAKES THE WIN AT INDY!Ben Nightingale
No. 12 Verizon Team Penske Dallara/Chevrolet – Will Power
Laps Completed: 200/200
Laps Led: 59
Points Position: 1st (243 pts)
- Will Power was already a Verizon IndyCar Series (VICS) Champion. Now he can call himself an Indianapolis 500 champion after taking the checkered flag in the 102nd running of the race on Sunday afternoon.
- Power began the race on the front row after qualifying his No. 12 Verizon Dallara/Chevrolet in the third position.
- The Australian driver was a player at the front of the field throughout the first half of the race, but he began to flex his muscle after the halfway point.
- Power took his first lead of the day during a pit cycle on lap 108 and had to with some fuel strategy drama before securing the win.
- With under 10 laps to go, Power found himself in the third position but with more fuel than the two leaders. When those cars hit pit road after realizing they could not make it to the end, Power had clear sailing for his first Indy 500 victory.
- The victory extends Team Penske’s record of Indianapolis 500 victories to 17. This was the 21st VICS wins at Indianapolis Motor Speedway when combined with four wins in the INDYCAR Grand Prix.
- With the win, Power is now the winningest VICS driver in Team Penske history with 31 series victories. He passes teammate Helio Castroneves for the top spot.
“Overwhelming. Amazing. It’s funny, you forget where you are, you’re so immersed in the race. You don’t even realise. On the white flag lap I started screaming because I just knew I was going to win it. Unbelievable. Never been so excited. This was a race you wanted to lead. At last they had a formula, if you had a good car, the leader could benefit and pull away. I liked it. It definitely made it harder to drive. Put the driver back into it more, where before you could hang back, third, no one wanted to lead.”